Saturday 4 June 2011

Secrets to riding 100miles (166km) and feeling good!

Managed my first local 100mile (166km) bike today. I've done big milage before, when training for Ironman (3.8k swim, 112mi bike and 26mi marathon). However I've never actually rode 100 miles in Jersey before. I've always stopped at 70miles and then done a run!

I am pleased with my achievement, but realise that three things were significant in my success.

First that I've been building up with regular Saturdays doing 60, then 70, 80 and last week 95 miles. This helps both with the fitness and the mental attitude required for 6 hours riding!

Second is the fact that I started at 6am and did a lot of miles with friends, before then joining the cycle club at 9am to do a lot of miles with different friends. Then after a fuel stop at the Watersplash (approx 80miles done) I then entered stage three. Breaking the rides into 3 stages helped, and having small targets and good friends makes the whole thing easier.

Third is the fact that I'd mentally committed to doing 100miles last week and came prepared. I took 2 bananas, lots of water and 2 energy bars. This kept my energy up for the ride, and kept my spirits up when I got to eat tasty stuff. The previous week I did less mileage, but with no food and I really suffered. Riding on empty is no recommended for the mind or the body. Having got home, showered and changed I zipped down to Big Maggy's (advertisement here) to buy some more fuel: Energy drinks for riding and Recovery drinks for after.

I am looking forward to racing in France and I am sure the above 3 factors will play a great part on the pleasure (and hopefully success) of my campaign. I will let you know how I get on with the Energy drinks for riding and Recovery drinks for after - you are what you eat, and your performance is significantly effected my your choice of fuel!

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment