Saturday 27 August 2011

Triathlon tomorrow - Predicted time 2:33

Getting ready for Triathlon tomorrow involves dusting down kit not used in 5 years (since 2006!)

Set-up Swim

Just realised I don't fit in my wetsuit!! Have been wondering 'round the house wearing it to try and make it stretch. Might be lucky enough to get into it tomorrow but not sure I will be able to breath. Inhaling is a real challenge against the tight rubber of the suit.

I also anticipate a fun time trying to peel it off at the end of the swim. However I think I'd still be better with a wetsuit rather than without since I have not done anything like this for 5 years I suspect I will benefit from the buoyancy (which will make-up for poor technique) and also allow me to float and rest if I get tired.

Estimated time for swim 30minutes

Set-up Bike

Quick pump of tyres, test of brakes and a ride up and down the road trying to get my feet in and out of the shoes for a fast start and finish to the bike section. I suspect I may be OK at this, but may be disappointed to make a slick professional start and then only cycle along at 20mph!

Set-up Speedo

The I.S.O. tire size consists of a tire width and a bead seat diameter. Both of these numbers are in millimeters. For example, a 28-622 (700 x 28C) tire has a nominal width of 28mm on a rim with a bead seat diameter of 622 mm

To get an approximate diameter (in mm) add the bead seat diameter to twice the tire width (since the tire comes into the diameter twice: 622 + (28 X 2) = 678. Multiply this by pi (3.142) to get the circumference in mm = 2130.

I think my calcs are tyre = 23-622
622 + (23 x 2) = 668 x 3.142 (pi) = 2100 as good as damn it

I'm not entirely sure I trust this so might strap the Garmin to the bike too. Knowing my speed should motivate me to work harder/faster…never enough speed and likely to be far behind all my rivals so the clocks are the only inductors of how well I am doing!

My legs are very tired having completed the Etape du Tour, 48 Mile Ultra Marathon, a series of rowing endurance races and more recently started marathon training and canoeing for the Thames River Challenge. However despite being very, very tired. I am reasonably fit.

Estimated time for bike 75minutes

Set-up Run

Thinking of using the old shoes from 2006. They have not done much milage and have elastic laces. No point in losing time fiddling around with lace-up marathon shoes. I have lots of stamina in the legs due to events listed above, but I have no speed. I can trot out 10min/mile pace for 50 miles, and don't expect to be super fast tomorrow.


Estimated time for run 6 x 8/min miles = 48minutes


TOTAL ESTIMATED TIME 2HOURS 33 MINS


Triathlon Packing List


BEFORE
Contact lenses
Sun screen
Fuel
Food
Race belt
Phone
Pins

SWIM
Googles
Hat
Cossie
Vasaline
Mat
Towel
Bowl

BIKE
Bike
Pump
Tyres and Tools
Bento Box
Helmet
Glasses
Bottles
Garmin
Elastic bands

RUN
Shoes
Socks
Hat

AFTER
Warm clothes
Towel
Flip Flops
Money
Waterproofs
Water
Food

No comments:

Post a Comment