Thursday 9 May 2013

The benefits of volume, by a mileage monster



The benefits of volume, by a mileage monster
Rowing Session Liberation Day 9 May 2013

When I used to do triathlon I used to train between 14 and 18 hours a week. When I switched to Ironman my peak weeks were 20 hours per week. This is pretty hard when you’ve got a full-time job, and family. People said I was mad training such volumes and told me that quality matters more than quantity. But I would plough on regardless and produced some pretty good results for an amateur athlete.

Shortly after Nick Saunders, a professional triathlete came to Jersey and made my efforts look part-time. He was better at quality and quantity.  But his results meant that people didn’t think he was mad, they thought he was (and is) brilliant. Nowadays the volumes that I did are regarded as normal for a triathlete and low for an Ironman. I guess I was ahead of my time.

Years later I’ve switched to rowing and here too I find the benefit of volume. I’m a bit older and slower, but the stamina is still there and I still manage to train over 15 hours per week. For the 19mile Sark to Jersey race last year I did several weeks of 60,000 meters per week (plus run, swim and bike) to give me both physical and mental stamina and it paid off with a new record for me an rowing partner Charlotte Bowman.

So today I’ve done another 20,000 meters to bring my weekly total of rowing to 79,000 meters in the last 7 days. My total for the week are 14.3hrs 79k row ;87mi bike;12mi run; What is interesting to note is that I am aware now of other members of the rowing club now rowing 3 x a day, and at least 60,000 meters. If I am ahead of my time, I’m not sure I’m going to maintain my lead if everyone else ups their game too!

One of the reasons I like doing 20k sessions on the rowing machine is there is no excuse. No tide. No wind. No rowing partner to help. No 100meter effort and then slack. It is unrelenting and demanding and rewards only consistent effort. If you’re going to do the 19mile Sark to Jersey race this year I recommend 70,000 meters a week and at least 2 sessions of 20,000 meters and at least one of those should be on the rowing machine.

Your programme might be

Mon: Rest (I go to a spin class)
Tue: 15k on sea
Wed: Rest (I go to a spin class)
Thu: 20k on rowing machine
Fri: 5k on sea  (or rowing machine if its rough)
Sat: 10k on sea  (or rowing machine if its rough)
Sun: 20k on sea  (or rowing machine if its rough)


About
Tim Rogers is a keen rower and member of the Jersey Rowing Club. This posting is offered to share for anyone interested in rowing and maybe some of the sessions, courses, distances and training information above.

No comments:

Post a Comment